(NewsSpace.com) – New York City is one of the top tourist destinations in the country. Millions visit to see the colorful, bright backdrop of Times Square and other attractions. However, because of the sheer number of people who call the Big Apple home, there’s quite a bit of crime, too.
On January 27, NYPD officers were called to break up a disorderly crowd outside a homeless shelter. When they attempted to arrest someone, several men attacked the officers. Over the next few days, many people were arrested and then released. Now, one has been indicted.
On Tuesday, February 6, a grand jury indicted 24-year-old Yohenry Brito, who had been arrested and arraigned the prior Thursday. At the time of writing, the charges were under seal, but when he was arrested, he was alongside several who were slapped with charges of gang assault, assault on a police officer, disorderly conduct, and obstructing governmental administration.
Brito will appear in the New York Supreme Court to be arraigned on March 25. He is also facing other misdemeanor charges related to shoplifting, for which he’ll appear in court on April 3. He has pleaded not guilty to all of the charges against him.
The attack on the NYPD officers has sparked rage on both sides of the aisle. It doesn’t help that Brito is the first to be held on bail related to the attack, which was caught on video. Many questioned why, considering the nature of the alleged crime, the migrants were let go. Even New York Governor Kathy Hochul (D) said she “worked hard to change the bail laws in New York State,” pointing out that “those crimes were bail eligible.” Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg said he didn’t request bail because it wasn’t clear what role the men played and he had a small window to prove why they needed bail.
Copyright 2024, NewsSpace.com