(NewsSpace.com) – Since Hamas launched an attack on an unsuspecting Israel on October 7, the two sides have engaged in a bloody conflict. The Jewish State has relentlessly gone after the militant group, and in the midst of the war, more than 2 million people have been displaced. Many more are in the line of fire, especially during aerial attacks. Now, Gaza has updated the number of deceased and injured, and it’s an astonishing figure.
In a Facebook post on January 21, Gaza’s Ministry of Health said there have been more than 25,000 deaths to date and more than 62,000 injuries. That number could go up because there is an undisclosed number of victims under the rubble and on roads where officials cannot reach them. As of the time of the post, there had been hundreds of deaths and injuries between January 20 and 21.
As of Monday, January 22, the shelling continued, with Gazans sheltering from the shooting and bombing overtaking the city of Khan Younis. In contrast, more than 1,200 people were killed in Israel.
Hamas recently released a 16-page report in which the militant group, which has been designated a terrorist organization, justifies its actions. Its attacks, it says, were a “necessary step” and “defensive act” in its efforts to reclaim “the Palestinian rights” and achieve “liberation and independence like all peoples.”
The US and the UN have continued to push Israel to accept a two-state solution, granting Palestine sovereignty, but Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wants nothing to do with it. The United States provides Israel with billions in military aid, so the move is seen as one of defiance.
Netanyahu insists that “the establishment of a Palestinian state … would have constituted an existential danger to Israel.” His actions have angered many top officials, including Riyad al-Maliki, the Palestinian Authority’s top diplomat, who called on the European Union to sanction Israel over the hostility. Maliki also demanded an immediate ceasefire, which did not happen.
Copyright 2024, NewsSpace.com