(NewsSpace.com) – North Korea has been busy lately with missile testing, setting off multiple launches, and raising tensions in the area over the idea that it could be planning an actual attack. The country’s military was at work once again last week in the East Sea, testing its “underwater nuclear weapon system.” State media said it was a direct response to the joint activities carried out by Japan, South Korea, and the United States.
On Friday, North Korean state media announced that the country had tested an underwater device, which was later identified by a South Korean military expert as a “self-explosive drone.” According to CBS News, Shin Jong-woo said that it was a “navigation test for their battery-powered underwater suicide drone” to see how well it performed over long periods of time and distance.
North Korea has repeatedly accused the US and South Korea of “threatening the security of the DPRK (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea)” and has warned them there would be “catastrophic consequences” if the alliance didn’t cease operations. The drone, the Haeil-2, is said to be able to carry a nuclear warhead and could infiltrate operation areas to destroy enemy ports and naval strike groups. It said it will continue to build its arsenal to deter “hostile military maneuvers” by the US Navy and its allies.
South Korea was quick to release a statement about the test, saying it is a direct violation of UN Security Council resolutions and is seen as a clear provocation that threatens the security of the Korean Peninsula and the world.
This isn’t the first time that North Korea has tested the underwater device. It initially sent it out in the spring of 2023, saying that the Haeil-2 managed to travel 600 miles over three days before it detonated a non-nuclear warhead. South Korea stands by its assertion that its neighbor to the north is exaggerating the device’s capabilities.
Copyright 2024, NewsSpace.com