Teenage Vaper Collapses and Loses a Portion of Her Lung

(NewsSpace.com) – The practice of vaping has grown exponentially over the past several years. In the United States, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates tobacco products and has issued several warnings about the hazards of vaping. Yet, millions do it, including teenagers. Now one teen is swearing off the activity forever after nearly dying.

On May 11, Mark Blight from Egremont, Cumbria, in the United Kingdom, received a phone call from one of his daughter’s friends. Kyla had been staying the night at her friend’s house when she collapsed and turned blue. Blight rushed his daughter to the hospital.

As it turns out, Kyla, now 17, had been vaping since she was 15. In one week, she’d do 4,000 puffs, which is the nicotine equivalent of smoking 400 cigarettes. During her examination, doctors discovered that she had a pulmonary pleb, a small air blister, on her lung. She had one last year which caused a hole in her lung. She was rushed to the hospital feeling like she was having a heart attack, but it was a pleb. Kyla returned for an examination in February and doctors told her it had healed.

Yet just a few months later, the pleb returned and burst, causing her lung to collapse. The doctors believe that vaping had caused it to burst. In order to remedy the problem, she had to undergo a 5.5-hour surgery to remove part of her lung. Following the operation, during which her father said she had a seizure on the table, she remained in the hospital for two weeks to recover. Now, she’s sworn off vaping forever.

Blight is also taking advantage of the opportunity to warn others of the dangers associated with the activity. He hadn’t known just how long or how much his daughter was vaping. He said he has vaped himself but encourages a ban on them for children.

Copyright 2024, NewsSpace.com